Chicken Karaage is a popular Japanese dish that is loved for its crispy exterior and juicy interior. It is typically made from chicken thigh marinated in a mixture of soy sauce, sake, ginger, and garlic, then coated with potato starch and deep-fried until golden brown. This dish is often served with a side of cabbage and a squeeze of lemon for a refreshing contrast.
Calories in Chicken Karaage
The total calories in Chicken Karaage are approximately 367 calories. However, the calorie amount can depend on the specific ingredients used and how the dish is cooked.
Here is the recipe for Chicken Karaage along with the calorie content for each ingredient:
- Skin-on chicken thigh (115 g): 221 calories
- Sake (¼ tablespoon): negligible calories (assumed to be less than 5 calories)
- Sugar (¼ teaspoon): 4 calories
- Soy sauce (½ tablespoon): 5 calories
- Ginger (½ teaspoon): 1 calorie
- Garlic (½ clove): 2 calories
- Egg (¼ beaten egg): 14 calories
- Potato starch (1 ½ tablespoons, 10 g): 35 calories
- Cooking oil (10ml absorbed during frying): approximately 80 calories
Please note that the calorie count for the cooking oil is an estimate, as the actual amount can vary depending on the frying temperature and duration.
Nutritional Content in Chicken Karaage
Chicken Karaage is not only delicious but also packed with nutrients. Here are some of the key nutrients you can get from Chicken Karaage:
- Protein: Chicken thigh is a good source of protein, which is essential for muscle growth and repair.
- Carbohydrates: Sugar and potato starch provide carbohydrates, which are the body’s primary source of energy.
- Vitamins and Minerals: Garlic and ginger contain various vitamins and minerals that are beneficial for the body.
- Fats: The skin-on chicken thigh and cooking oil contribute to the fat content, which provides additional energy for the body.
In conclusion, Chicken Karaage is a tasty dish that can be enjoyed as part of a balanced diet. Enjoy!
Note: The calorie estimates above may vary depending on portion sizes and specific ingredients used.